It’s difficult to give myself the care and attention that I need so desperately. In years past, I did everything for everyone else and unintentionally ignored myself. I was so lost in this way of life that I didn’t even realize that I was evaporating away from ME.
THE realization of my personal neglect happened a few years ago and I knew my own essence had to change. I was clobbered by a series of events that awakened me to mindfulness. Among the events was a diagnosis of an autoimmune disease, Hashimotos Thyroiditis, coupled with unexpected emotional attacks from within my circle of trust.
My journey has been challenging and enlightening. I can look back over the past few years and find peace and gratitude for the position in which I find myself today. I feel liberated to share some of my discoveries. In my previous post, The Art of Me, I wrote about the difficulty of putting ourselves first.
In early 2017, a friend recommended I read the book, The Miracle Morning by Hal Elrod. This book created solutions for me. It gave me structure, balance, and self preservation. When I have strayed from this morning routine, I return to a previous narrative that is unwanted in my life. I encourage you to read this book for commentary about why I’m so stoked about my personal Miracle Morning.
My Six Simple Steps in the morning actually begin every night before I go to sleep. I write at least three entries in my Gratitude Journal and at least one entry in my Joy Journal. They happen to be the same book with Gratitude on one side of the page and Joy on the other.
I give myself at least 60 – 90 minutes for my morning routine. I start with brushing my teeth, washing my face and a cup of warm lemon water – made by squeezing half of a lemon into a mug of hot water. Most of my miracle morning is spent in my bedroom, for space and privacy.
- I meditate for 10 minutes, using the Calm app on my phone. The Daily Calm is a guided meditation that allows me to choose how much silence, how much guidance, and the background I wish to hear. I breathe deep and start my morning with a clear mind.
- I have previously written out some affirmations to say outloud to myself. I affirm my physical health, my emotional health and my spiritual health. I also give positive affirmation for my finances, my relationships, and my mindset. I finish this 5 minutes with reciting the Prayer of St. Francis.
- My next 5-10 minutes are spent visualizing. I sit up straight (as if I’m meditating), with some gentle music (usually the same background that I have on the Calm App) and I visualize how my day will go, who I will see, how my meetings and interactions will occur. I then visualize my goals, both short term and long term and end with a snapshot of my deepest desires, or as I call it Super Duper Dreams of a Lifetime!
- I spend 20-60 minutes practicing Yoga. I subscribe to a channel called Gaia when I can do a simple Yoga Everyday class on the channel or a more intense practice if I have time. The goal is breathing, stretching, strength, and mindfulness.
- I read. I have Bible study books, yoga and ayurvedic lifestyle books, and multiple self help books. I’m not one to spend a lot of time reading so by reading at least 10 minutes every morning, I can get through a lot of the books that are in my queue.
- I journal for the length of time I have left in my morning. Whatever comes to mind is what I write down. I don’t edit, I don’t question, I write.
My steps to start my day set me up for success. Whether I am heading to work or have a quiet day at home, the Miracle Morning steps help me develop mindfulness, gratitude, and an ability to manifest the Joy that is meant for me. I hope in some way, my steps will help you create your steps. You can honestly do it all in as little as 10 minutes! Of highest importance is that you do this daily!
PS Commit for a 30 days. Whether Baby Steps or Giant Leaps, they all begin with taking the first step.